Saturday, June 2, 2012

Kitset "Jazz" Bass guitar project


I recently won an auction for a Guitar Spares kitset "Jazz" style electric, solid body bass guitar. It came by courier in a cardboard box.



This is what the components look like straight out of the box
All the parts come with the kit and all the pick up and control cavities are routed out.
Headstock cut out all ready for 
sanding sealer.

This is the Jazz bass model I've long admired so here's my opportunity to replicate one.

I've loved Sea foam green as a guitar colour since I was very young so I found a similar colour in a local paint supplier's range that they call "Vista Blue". Sealer, primer and one 
topcoat on.
Trial balance of elements and set out 
logo design. I think that the tortoise shell pick guard looks amazing against the green paint finish.



.
My custom head stock scroll design is slightly larger than Fender's and closer to a double bass scroll profile.

Head stock varnished, I used a gold paint pen to write the script for my "Harmen JAZZ BASS" logo outlined with a fine black paint pen.


Second coat of semi gloss water based  enamel. Beautiful still weather for painting!

This Jazz Bass kit project has been one of the most satisfying that I have undertaken in quite a while. I've loved researching the various processes on line, finding some great links and tips to assist me with my build. The scale of this project has suited me too. I've had to call on many of the skills that I have acquired over my lifetime, I chose materials and processes that would cause me and the environment minimal damage.
I chose to do this because I could not find an instrument of the quality and characteristics that I wanted for the budget I had available. All in all I'm very happy with the result so far, more later.

Harmen

No comments: