Wednesday, October 19, 2011

My Cajon has a microphone

Last week I fitted my AKG C411L active microphone into my Cajon.

This mic is designed for stringed instruments, in my case I had used it in my one string skiffle bass for around 10 years but I have found that it is also suited to the tonality of the cajon.

As always placing it in the sweet spot is the secret to getting a good sound.
















The AKG, 9 v phantom power supply and preamp fits neatly against the outside left panel of the box attached by velcro strips. The 1/4" Jack plug from the amp plugs into the the microphone power supply control box. The mic output lead is connected via a 3 pin Cannon plug set into the box back panel, that way I can remove all the exterior gear when not in use and transfer it to my one string bass which has the same mic set up.




















In my cajon I found that the microphone sounds best placed just above the port at the rear of the box. The microphone is secured with contact gum inside the cabinet at the 11.00 o'clock position at the inside rim of the port.

Played through my 50 watt Jansen Bassman tube amp with its 4 x 12" speaker quad box it sounds huge and very convincingly kick drum and snare like.

No comments: