Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Drum kit complete















That's it I'm ready to go.

The fiberskyn arrived in the mail from Auckland along with a new 14" 6 lug rim.

The Tomtom was an old pearl export shell which had been modified to take floor tom mounts by my old friend Tony Parker.

Tony had removed the original wrap and unsuccessfully attempted to stain the maple shell.
I sanded the shell back to the bare wood and laminated a plug to fill the hole left by the removal of the metal bass drum mount. I then finished the shell with a number of coats of boiled linseed oil. The plug infill looked a bit obvious to me so I selected a copper penny that I have been keeping and soldered a brass stud to the head side, sorry Elizabeth! The coin is a New Zealand penny from the year of my birth, 1957.














I found a chrome bezel from an old door lock set and set the coin into the bezel, a perfect fit, then screwed the assembly through a small hole drilled in the plug. The whole thing has concealed my repair and looks like it was meant to be there.

The hardware went back on after which I fitted the new skins and tuned them.
I tune my tom skins equal tension top and bottom.

No comments: