Friday, January 17, 2020

Lawsuit era, 1973 Aria 9220 Dreadnought acoustic guitar

My client asked me to replace the Gibson style adjustable saddle on this guitar.
It also needed a fret level, crown and polish.

As you can see from this photo the saddle on this Aria 9220 is the Gibson style chromed,
cast brass adjustable unit with a screw at each end for string height adjustment.
I decided to remove the old adjustable saddle which had tilted in its slot.
I set the guitar up with its bass E and treble E strings on my intonation jig attached to the end pin.
and found the original slot to be in the incorrect position for perfect string intonation.

I took and old ebony piano key and cut it to the perfect size to fill the oversized slot.
Once the new saddle slot was accurately located and marked, I routed a 3mm wide slot into the bridge.
I then fabricated a new saddle out of deer antler and retuned the guitar.
The string height and intonation are now ideal


This is a beautiful guitar.
It rivals a Martin D28 for build quality and materials in my opinion.



No comments: