Monday, September 9, 2019

Fender style, Tweed "Rock Case" upgrade.

First task? Select a suitable fabric.

Lots to choose from. The client eventually sent me what he wanted. He has more chose where he lives.

Next, carefully peel out the old lining. I was not going to replace this lining Like for like but I
wanted to take note of finishing details.

I was surprised by the poor quality of the build and materials on this case.
Much is concealed by the upholstery!

Out it comes.

The empty case. Now to plan the new interior.

Here are all the old components.

A visit to our local Para Rubber store turned up this grey, medium density,
Polyurethane foam.

I cut a small amount of clearance around the guitar to allow for upholstery.

I also cut a channel for the neck and a bevel around the cutaways to soften the look once the
case was upholstered in crushed velvet. I also refitted the existing accessories box and lid.
I could not see the point in altering this component.

Because the guitar could still jump around inside the case, I chose to fit a couple of blocks.
These I glued to the lid to secure the guitar into its pocket.

I lined the accessory compartment first to get a feel for the application of the crushed velvet material.

The owner and I had done some research into the traditional way in which these cases were constructed.
Hide glue and vanilla essence! not that successful (sadly). Back to the tried and tested spray glue.
I thoroughly detest using solvent based products and avoid them when I can.
Here it was wholesale solvents, 3 cans of spray glue and half a litre of Ados contact cement!

It's been gassing off for days and days and it still stinks! I'm not putting the guitar back in there
until the solvent smell has passed. The wrinkles were unavoidable in spite of the
extreme stretchiness of the fabric.

I got the pile of the fabric out of phase in this case 90 degrees. I was not happy with it so I
ripped off the lining of the accessories compartment and relined it. While I was at it I made
a nice new red leather lift tag

The smell is subsiding. I trial fitted the guitar, perfect!

The newly lined accessories compartment. Much better now. I also hand sewed
the lining for the lid which made a far tidier job of the finish.

Out in the sun to let it air some more.

I fitted a black webbing strap to support the lid hinges. This will give the case greater longevity.

Detail of my red leather lift tag.

One happy Strat and hopefully, a happy customer.

No comments: