Saturday, July 6, 2019

Taylor 214 CE Grand Auditorium neck rebuild.

The owner of this badly damaged guitar sought to replace the neck with a new one. The cost was prohibitive. I offered to repair it for him but in the end he chose to sell me the wreck.

The guitar was in its padded gig bag when someone stood on it by mistake.

Add caption




The neck just after glueing and clamping.


The neck after sanding. Already the repair is hard to see.I fabricated a new tube nut as the
original one had been misplaced along with the missing section of neck heel after the accident.

My newly fabricated steel tube nut.

I made a new heel from a scrap of sapele mahogany.

Another view of the neck heel concealed within is the tube nut

The ebony finger board with all the chips and divits filled with ebony dust and superglue.

Test fitting of the neck before finishing.

Another view of the neck repair.

Close up of neck repair. I was fortunate to get the neck angle the same as original as I had no
need to change the original shims for exact neck adjustment.

Here I am glueing and end cap on to the heel of the neck

A light sunburst stain to blend the two different tones of mahogany, then 2 coats of Satin Lacquer.

Final bolt on prior to the fitting of hardware.



Hardware fitted.

Another view of the finished neck repair


The completed guitar with new strings and saddle. Ideal neck relief, string height and intonation.
It looks like new again.





1 comment:

Harmen Hielkema said...
This comment has been removed by the author.